Although golf has been played on the Central Coast for almost 100 years it was not until 1949 that formal arrangements for the administration and playing of the game were put in place.

In November 1949 a meeting was held at Gosford Golf Club attended by representatives of Gosford, Tuggerah Lakes and Wyong Golf Clubs being the Clubs operating formally on the Coast at that time. At that meeting it was determined to adopt a draft constitution and form the Brisbane Water District Golf Association (the name taken from the expanse of water near the Gosford township) and to affiliate with the Country Golf Association of NSW. The NSW Golf Association conveyed messages of support and offered some suggestions on the constitution.

Members of the inaugural Committee elected at the meeting were:

Title Name
President C.J.Lloyd (Gosford)
Vice President N. McGowan (Wyong)
Hon. Secretary J.A. Sterland (Gosford)
Hon. Treasurer J. Nicol (Tuggerah Lakes)

Almost immediately the foundation Clubs commenced inter club competition (pennants) and the first BWDGA District Championship was held in August 1950 which was won by Mr. A Wood of the Wyong club.

Over time, and with the population of the area growing rapidly, additional Clubs were formed and the period between 1956 and 1975 saw 5 more Clubs accepted into the Association. These were Everglades Country Club in 1956, Morisset Country Club in 1968, Toukley Golf Club in 1971 and Breakers (formerly Terrigal Memorial Country Club) and Mangrove Mountain Memorial Club in 1975. In 2000 The Springs Golf & Country Club was affiliated and in 2006 the latest additions, Kooindah Waters and Magenta Shores, were affiliated with the Association bringing the total Clubs within the Association to 11 stretching from Woy Woy in the south to Morisset in the north.

Unfortunately, Morisset Country Club ceased operations in May 2019 reducing the number of Clubs to 10, the northern most club now being Toukley.

Although commonly referred to as “the Central Coast” the area from the Hawkesbury River to Southern Lake MacQuarie was not officially granted regional status until 2006 and following this decision by government the name of the men’s Association was changed to the Central Coast DGA in 2006.

Recent News